Homemade Char Siew

Friday, April 23, 2010

I don't know about you but I'm quite particular when it comes to char siews. This is because I'm not at all a fan of 'sweet' food. I don't mean to say I don't like puddings or desserts.. just that, personally, any meat or vegetables eaten sweet is kinda strange, for example, 'ku lou yuk', sweet and sour fish etc. If it's something sweet, it has got to be real good... or else I won't eat it simply because I don't like sweet cooked food!! :D
So let's come back to the topic.. I usually won't opt for the typical dry, pale-looking char siews that are served when you order wan tan mee at any regular stall. No offence but the worst char siew I have tasted is Singapore's char siew!! I still remember it was wantanmee I ordered, it didn't look much different from our Malaysian wantanmee, except that it was red. the charsiew, the noodles, everything. And worst of all, it was so sweet!! Gosh. Won't try it again. On the other hand, I do know a place that sells quite good char siew. I can't remember what it's called but it is located in Sunway Mas near Aman Suria. I don't know how to describe how good it is, but you just can tell the difference when you see a good charsiew and an average char siew. LOL.
So I tried to make my own char siew, and I dare say it tastes better than the normal dry char siew as I mentioned just now :p

Here's the recipe, but unfortunately I only took one picture.



Char Siew

Ingredients
1. Pork Belly
2. Sugar
3. Salt
4. Pepper
5. Dark soy sauce
6. Light soy sauce

Method
1. Clean and leave the pork belly as one piece without cutting.
2. Marinate pork belly with sugar (i used raw sugar here. You can be quite generous with your sugar), dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, salt and pepper.
3. Bake in oven at about 190'c for 30mins each side, which means the baking time is about an hour.
4. When done, slice char siew and serve with white rice.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Simple and nice and an economical do it yourself attempt. Most people would spend money on buying marketed char siew sauce in bottles .They should follow your recipe.

F for food Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino